The Mathematical Association of America is the largest professional society that focuses on mathematics accessible at the undergraduate level. Our members include university, college, and high school teachers; graduate and undergraduate students; pure and applied mathematicians; computer scientists; statisticians; and many others in academia, government, business, and industry. We welcome all who are interested in the mathematical sciences.
The mission of the MAA is "to advance the mathematical sciences, especially at the collegiate level."
This mission guides our core interests:
- Education: We support learning in the mathematical sciences by encouraging effective curriculum, teaching, and assessment at all levels.
- Research: We support research, scholarship, and its exposition at all appropriate levels and venues, including research by undergraduates.
- Professional Development: We provide resources and activities that foster scholarship, professional growth, and cooperation among teachers, other professionals, and students.
- Public Policy: We influence institutional and public policy through advocacy for the importance, uses, and needs of the mathematical sciences.
- Public Appreciation: We promote the general understanding and appreciation of mathematics. We encourage students of all ages, particularly those from underrepresented groups, to pursue activities and careers in the mathematical sciences.